ENCOURAGING PRACTICE

Improvement in Offensive Work.--New Contrivance to Develop Line Defense.

The men were all in good condition in the practice yesterday and a decided improvement was apparent in the playing of the men who have been out of the game with injuries. Sawin and Gierasch were both in the line-up with the second, and Gierasch did some brilliant work. Ellis did not play but was quick in the signal practice and did not limp as much as yesterday.

The innovation of a machine to develop the line defense was brought into the preliminary practice. It consisted of a long padded board mounted on rollers, running parallel to the ground about three feet above it. The men were lined up against it and at the snap of the ball lunged at it and pushed it ahead of them. If one side of the line was slow the machine slewed around and showed where the weakness was. After some work of this sort the linemen were given some hard defensive practice, while the backs were put through the plays. The first and second elevens then lined up and played a short game.

The first eleven kept the ball most of the time, gained repeatedly, and scored four touchdowns, principally because of the poor work of the second team. Credit, however, must be given the first team for its fast and clever interference which was formed on most of the end plays. The defense, as in previous practice, was too strong for the weak attack of the second eleven, and allowed no gains to be made. The individual work of the backs was noticeable. Gierasch, playing for the first time after an absence of two weeks, did some brilliant running. He ran low and swiftly, followed his interference carefully, hurdled well and did some good dodging in the broken field, making one brilliant run of sixty-five yards for a touchdown after receiving the kick-off. Putnam and Devens also made long runs, usually with excellent interference. Bowditch was of great value in the end runs.

The first team scored its first touchdown shortly after the game began on a long end run by Putnam. Five minutes later Putnam again crossed the line after a long run behind Bowditch's interference. After the next kick-off several good runs by Gierasch carried the ball to within striking distance of the goal, and Stillman took it over by a line plunge. The last touchdown was that made by Gierasch after his sixty-five yard run.

The line-up: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Motley, Morse. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., McGrew. Barnard, Burnett, r.g.  l.g., Grew. Roberts, Sargent, c.  c., Greene, Sugden. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Riggs, Rainsford. Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Spratt. Bowditch, l.e.  r.e., Hoxie. Daly, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly, Baldwin. Devens, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Blagden. Sawin, Putnam, Gierasch, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Ives. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.