Weld and Newell Races.

At both clubs yesterday the last hard rowing was done before the regatta on Thursday.

At the Weld, the four graded crews and the first two Freshman eights raced downstream over the regular 1 7-8 miles course. The first graded eight handicapped the second and third graded crews by 10 seconds, the first freshman crew by 15 seconds, and the fourth graded and second Freshman crews by 25 seconds. The race started so late in the afternoon that the course was too dark for the rowing of the various crews to be seen. They finished in the following order: First Freshman, first graded, second graded, fourth graded, second Freshman, third graded. The order of the winning crew was as follows: Stroke, Macomber (capt); 7, Minturn; 6, Thanisch; 5, Adams; 4, Lindsley; 3, Chadwick; 2, E. Krumbhaar; bow, G. Fairchild; cox., W. Swan.

At the Newell club, the first and second graded crews were followed by the launch in a time-row over the regular course. The second crew was given a start of a length and a half, but the first made the course in quicker time, 9ms., 20s., the second finished in 9ms., 37s. On the home stretch a further test was made, and this time the first Newell eight did 15 strokes in 22 seconds. The order of the first crew is as follows: Stroke, Brownell; 7, Blake; 6, Bullard; 5, Henderson; 4, Perkins; 3, Swain; 2, Morris: bow, Goodell.