Studies in Philology.

The Modern Language Department has just published the seventh volume of its series, "Studies and Notes in Philology." It contains two theses, one on "Spanish Sibilants," by Dr. J. D. M. Ford, and the other on the origin of the Arthurian Round Table, by Dr. A. C. L. Brown '94.

Dr. Fords' work, the result of thorough research and study of the question of sibilants, is in addition a well epitomized history of the growth of the Spanish language. The main purpose, however, is to account for the absence in modern Spanish of sibilant letters, with which all other modern languages are well supplied. Two hundred years ago it appears Spanish was as rich in sibilants as any other language. This is proved by the fact that Spanish is based on Latin, and, accordingly, ought to have as many sibilants as any other language of Latin origin. Moreover, an examination of old texts and manuscripts shows that sounds were used that were the equivalent of siblants.

There are two theories with regard to the story of the Round Table, the first being that the whole tale is of Celtic and Welsh origin; and the second that the story has very little origin in fact, but originated in the minds of the early French poets. Dr. Brown does not trouble himself with either of these views--exactly; but devotes himself to answering two questions: What was the Round Table, and why was it round? Dr. Brown's thesis is the enlargement of an address which he delivered in New York last year.