"The Masque of Judgment."

Small, Maynard & Company have just published "The Masque of Judgment," a theological drama in five acts with a prelude by William Vaughn Moody '93. It is estimated as one of the best pieces of work in this line ever done by a Harvard graduate.

The drama is written in heroic verse, and is free in the best modern sense. Its doctrine is that of Spinoza and its thought is deeply philosophical and mystical. The action of the play is comprehended in three periods: Before the Incarnation; during and after the Crucifixion; and on the Judgment Day before dawn. Its story is mainly one of supernatural beings: Raphael's journey to earth is described, and also the effect of the Crucifixion on the Heavenly Hosts. The description of the celestial beings is very even and novel, while in form it is beautifully musical.

The drama abounds in particularly fine lyrics which bear comparison with some of Swinburne's best work. Taken as a whole, "The Masque" shows great maturity, and, coming so soon after Mr. Moody's powerful poem on "Washington and the Colonial Army," is a great proof of the author's fertility and promise.