Second Trial Debate.

At the second trials for the Yale debate last night, the following six men were retained: R. C. Bruce '02, W. Catchings '01, H. P. Chandler '01, R. E. Fitzpatrick '02, C. P. McCarthy '02, and M. Seasongood 1L. The speaking was uniformly good, though some of the men showed the need of coaching in minor points of gesture and delivery. R. C. Bruce '02 spoke especially well, showing excellent argumentative work and unusually good control of his voice. W. Catchings '01 devoted his attention partly to showing that the Filipinos would in time develop a feeling of national spirit. He was clear and logical and spoke with good emphasis. H. P. Chandler '01 spoke deliberately and had the advantage of a very good voice. P. E. Fitzpatrick '02 had an easy presence, together with a perfect control of voice and gestures. M. Seasongood 1L. also had a good presence, speaking clearly and with considerable force at times.

The six men have been divided into two teams. Fitzpatrick, Catchings and Seasongood will support the affirmative, Chandler, McCarthy and Bruce the negative of the question. At this third trial, to be held on Friday, Nov. 9, at 7.30 o'clock in the Fogg Lecture Room, the team to debate against Yale will be finally chosen.