THE HOCKEY TEAM.

Game with Yale Monday.--Criticism of Team and of Individual Players.

On Monday the Hockey team plays Yale at the St. Nicholas rink in New York. The match will be played under the auspices of the Harvard and Yale Clubs of New York and of the St. Nicholas Skating Club. No admission fee will be charged, and the distribution of the tickets will be in the hands of the three clubs.

Yale has defeated all the other teams in the Intercollegiate Hockey League and has received excellent practice by playing all the best New York teams. Brown, the only team which both Harvard and Yale have played, was defeated by Yale 7-2, and by Harvard 8-1, and 7-1.

Of the eleven matches played, the Harvard team has won ten and tied one The scores follow, Harvard's points being given first: Newtowne A. C., 4-2; Newtowne A. C., 7-2; Newtowne A. C., 5-3; M. I. T., 10-1; Canadian Picked Team, 2-0; Newtowne A. C., 3-3; Brown, 8-1 (at Providence); Brown, 7-1 (at Cambridge); Dorchester, 2-0; M. I. T., 8-4; Brookline Country Club, 10-3.

The team as a whole has improved a great deal during the season, and the men are now playing well together. Gymnasium practice has been held every day when the ice has not been in condition, and the men are in the best possible shape. As compared with experienced players, the Harvard team shows certain faults of which the following are the most apparent. The forwards do not follow their opponents back quickly enough to be of much assistance in defending their goal; they hesitate too long before shooting for goal, thus allowing the opposing defense to form; and their stopping and starting is much too slow.

Taking the players as individuals, a desire to learn the game thoroughly, and to perfect themselves in the details of their positions, has characterized the work of every man.

Beardsell, captain and left wing, is a player of more than ordinary ability and has improved rapidly this season. His football experience renders him able to control his body well, and apply his weight in checking an opponent. He does not start or stop as quickly as he should, and his passing and receiving of the puck when rushing is still too uncertain. He keeps his men constantly at work throughout every game.

F. J. Goodridge, left centre, is an exceptionally fast man and makes up for his lack of weight by clever dodging tactics. His passing and shooting are accurate, but need to be much harder.

Rumsey, right centre, is very fair in offensive play, but is less strong on the defensive, His passes and shots for goal are good and his experience in pony polo aids him in intuitively following the puck.

Laverack, right wing, shoots a hard puck to stop, but he is not fast enough in getting his shots away. He is heavy and sure-footed, and is rapidly acquiring the technique of defensive work. He has had long experience in Buffalo which counts greatly in his favor.

Vanderpool, cover point, is new to the position, but has improved steadily and rapidly. He checks his opponent effectively and lifts the puck with accuracy. His eagerness to break the opposing line draws him out too far, thus endangering his own goal.

Russell, point, has but recently moved out from goal, but has readily adapted himself to the new position. His training at goal developed remarkable quickness and this is invaluable in his new position. He lacks weight and would therefore be handicapped in case his opponents attempted to force a way through the goal.

Barrows, goal, who played two years at Brown, has but recently joined the team. He is very quick and reliable, but his short practice with the team may result in his inability to work with point to the best advantage.

Hoxie, right wing, who will play one half at least, is a very good man, but unable to last an entire game if he is played hard. His weight and football experience should render him great assistance if he can once be taught the necessity of following up his opponent. His starting and stopping are slow, and his shots for goal lack force, but he is improving rapidly.

A. M. Goodridge, substitute goal, may start the game, but is handicapped by lack of experience in important matches. He still lacks the requisite speed and accuracy in stopping hard shots near the post.

Hardy, substitute cover point, plays a hard game, but is too easily drawn out. He pays too much attention to the puck and too little to the man.