HOCKEY TEAM DEFEATED.

Yale Wins 5-4 in an Exciting and Well Played Game.

NEW YORK, Feb. 26.--Harvard lost to Yale in the hockey match at the St. Nicholas Rink tonight by the score of 4 to 5. The match was an extremely exciting one from start to finish, as first one team led and then the other. Harvard scored first soon after play began, but Yale almost immediately took the lead, their second goal being a chance shot which carromed off a Harvard player. The rest of the half was characterized by brilliant defensive playing by both teams; the puck constantly changing from goal to goal.

The second half was started with a rush, Harvard scoring in the first minute of play, and gaining the lead, 3 to 2. Next, Yale tied the score and then took the lead. Just before the end of the half Harvard scored again and the aggressive playing seemed to assure another goal when time was called. Yale's superiority lay in her faster forwards, while Harvard was clearly superior on the defense. Vanderpool, at coverpoint, played a brilliant game for Harvard and was ably backed up by Russell and Barrows. Goodridge was the best of the forwards, but all the men played a creditable game. Inman was easily the start of the Yale team. The line-up was as given in this morning's CRIMSON , except that Brook took Sturgis's place at point for Yale.