RECORDS OF HARVARD LIFE

Accounts by Instructors and Students of Life Today to be Preserved.

At a recent meeting o the University Council it was suggested that an attempt be made to bring together, for the benefit of future generations, as complete a record a possible f the present daily life of the University. It was pointed out that such a record, made in 170 or 1800, would be of great interest now. Accordingly, Mr. William C. lane, Librarian of the University, has issued a circular letter, a copy of which has been sent to each officer of the University, asking his co-operation in carrying out such a plan.

The circular requests each "officer of the University, old and young" to keep "During the month of March, 1900, a careful journal of his daily dings, recording faithfully, and in as much detail as he can, all that goes on from day to day, including his College work, his professional interests, his family relations, his amusements, in fact all the elements of his life. "Let him," says the circular, "imagine that he is writing without reserve to some friend at a distance who has been long absent from Cambridge, and who has lost touch with the ordinary current of life here, but retains as interest in it al, and let the writer try to call up for his friend's benefit, in detail and as vividly as possible, a picture of what is taking place."

While it is intended that "the immediate events of the month of March, 1900, should furnish the principal material for the journals, writers will naturally be led to mention other matters of recent interest, supplementing and explaining the subjects of which they write. The following outline of subjects is suggested as an indication of the field that should if possible be covered.

A. Work Connected with University Duties.

1. Preparation for class work.

2. Class appointments, with comments on any characteristic or notable items.

3. Lectures or addresses to students, not included under regular appointments.

4. Faculty and departmental meetings and committee work.

5. Administration work.

6. Individual relations with students.

B. Professional Work.

1. Professional studies, not immediately connected with teaching.

2. Literary work, preparation f books, articles, reviews, etc.

3. Correspondence growing out of professional work.

4. Lectures, meetings, etc., not directly connected with the University.

C. Personal Occupations.

1. Domestic occupations.

2. Social relations, entertainments, etc.

"A writer is of course at liberty to give, if he chooses, a more comprehensive account of undertakings in which he is, or has been, engaged. A brief account of his ordinary occupations and course of life during the summer would in all cases be a desirable addition."

"The journals when finished are to be placed separately in stout envelopes, and sealed by the writers. They will be deposited in a zinc-lined chest, soldered up and securely fastened.

"The chest is to remain absolutely closed until the year 1925; and no general use of the records will be permitted earlier than 1960. Between 1925 and 1960, however, any individual record may be opened and used if the writer has dies and his family or literary executors wish the material for biographical purposes. All other records to remain intact and unopened until the year 1960."

It is proposed to add to the written narratives a comprehensive collection of photographs of places, buildings, and rooms, and every one will be asked to contribute what photographs he can, illustrating the present aspect of Cambridge.

In carrying out this plan a limited number of students will be asked to assist, in order that, as far as possible, all aspects of the life of the University may be represented in the record.