Geological Field Work

The Department of Geology will offer this year in connection with the work of the Summer School, an advanced course in geological field-work in New York and Connecticut. The work in the corresponding course last summer was in Montana and the Yellowstone Park, but this trip has been abandoned this year for various reasons.

The class will assemble at Utica, N. Y., on July 5 for work in the vicinity of Utica and Catskill, two weeks being devoted to each of these regions. The main object of the work in Central New York is the study of the New York palaezoic formations. The succession of rocks will be studied, thickness measured, and the characteristic fossils collected. Training will be given in mapping and in collecting rocks and fossils. The Appalachian structure which is here seen affords additional problems for interpretation and more exact practice in mapping. There will be opportunity for study of a variety of land forms and glacial phenomena, and the closing days of the stay in Central New York will be devoted to a study of the drainage features connected with the departure of the ice sheet.

The class will again assemble at Meriden, Connecticut, August 6, and spend the remainder of the course in the examination and survey of the Newark rocks of the Connecticut valley.

The fee for the course is $20, and the estimated expenses for transportation and subsistence between July 15 and August 15 are about $100. Hotel accommodations will be arranged by the instructors in charge of the party. The course will be open to men only. Students in Harvard College and the Lawrence Scientific School may count this as a half-course towards their degrees.