Future of Holmes Field.

The removal of the track team this week to Soldiers Field marked the last stage of the giving up of Holmes Field as a ground for the use of the more prominent branches of athletics, though for the next year or two at least it will still be available for the minor branches. Scrub baseball and lacrosse games are being played there now, and it is hoped that during the summer a cricket crease may be put in.

The proposed final disposition of the field, however, is of a nature entirely apart from athletics. It is intended to make of it a second quadrangle, corresponding to the College Yard. The south side is already partly filled by the Law School and the Jefferson Physical Laboratory. The east side will soon be filled by the new Engineering Building. On the north there is only the Carey Building, and on the west Walter Hastings is far enough away to allow another building in between. Plans have been drawn for a completed quadrangle, containing some six or seven buildings in addition to those already mentioned. Of the proposed new buildings, however, the only one assured is the Engineering Building on the east side. The others are necessarily not definitely provided for on account of the lack of funds for building.