Yale News.

The managers of the debating association have decided to ask a committee of representative men from the faculty and local graduates who are interested in debating to take charge of the coaching for the debate and to make the final selection of the three men who will represent Yale. At the preliminary trials for the Academic Department the following eight men were retained to speak at the final trials on Wednesday, March 7: G. H. Bartholomew '00, H. A. Dow '00, A. D. Leavitt '00, E. W. Ong '00, T. W. Swan '00, M. Trowbridge '02, A. Tulin '03, and P. C. Walcott '00.

The total number of candidates now trying for the track team is 245, and it is probable that before the middle of March, when outdoor work is well started, there will be more than 300 men in training for the different events. Captain Johnson has offered three silver cups for three novice high-jumping contests, in the hope of bringing out some strong men in an event which has been one of Yale's weak points for several years. In the weights, another weak point, there is a large number of candidates working under the direction of Trainer Flanagan.

Captain Allen has begun to move his squad of oarsmen from the tank to the harbor. Several of the more advanced crews were sent out on the water in barges. The change will go on as rapidly as possible till all the squad of 116 men are boated. 20 seniors are now rowing, 24 juniors, 25 sophomores, and 47 freshmen.

Nichols of the Boston league team is expected to arrive Monday to take expected to arrive Monday to take charge of the battery candidates of the baseball squad. He will remain till the spring recess, and besides his work with the batteries he will probably give some attention to the other departments of the game. Captain Camp expects several graduate coaches to give a few days each to the team before the Easter trip. Almost a hundred men are out for the nine, not counting last year's team.