HARVARD WINS DUAL GAMES

Defeats Yale on Soldiers Field by the Score of 62 1-2 to 41 1-2.

Harvard defeated Yale in the dual track games on Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon by the score of 62 1-2 points to 41 1-2. The meet throughout was very interesting. Yale started with a rush, winning four of the first five events, but in the next four Harvard made 29 points out of a possible 32. After this the games were no longer in doubt. Harvard scored in every event, while Yale failed to take a point in either of the jumps or the two-mile run. On the track Harvard scored 36 points to Yale's 28, and in the field 26 1-2 to 13 1-2.

One U. T. A. C. A. record was broken. Boal threw the hammer 144 feet 2 1-2 inches, bettering Chadwick's distance by 13 feet 3 inches. Hallowell equalled the record in the high hurdles, as did Richards in the short dash. Richardson in the two-mile, a new event for the dual games, set a good record by winning the race in 9 minutes 57 3-5 seconds.

The day was a good one and the track and field were in excellent condition. The two captains agreed to run the dashes and the hurdle races up the stretch instead of down, so that the runners might have at their backs the brisk breeze which was blowing.

Hallowell and Boardman were equal stars of the meet, each winning two events. The first event was started at 3 o'clock, and all the other events were run off at the scheduled time.

The fact that Fincke did not qualify in the hurdles was the first surprise. He was following Hallowell closely, but struck the ninth hurdle and could not recover before Abercrombie had passed him. Hallowell won the final heat, equalling Fox's record of last year. Willis, in his eagerness to pass Thomas, the only Yale man in the race, ran around his fourth hurdle and so was disqualified, the place going to Abercrombie.

The result of the shorter dash was also a surprise. Haigh led most of the way, but Richards drew up rapidly at the finish and won the race by falling over the line. Butler won the other point from Blount, who had been picked for a winner.

Yale was very strong in the mile run. Williams set the pace for the first three laps and then dropped back, leaving Knowles, Clark and Swan in the lead, but Smith and Weston passed them on the last turn and came down the stretch with a good margin. No one was surprised to see Boardman win the 440-yards dash, but Dean and Clerk ran him an exceedingly fast four hundred yards.

The half mile run was the best race of the day and the result was most unexpected. Smith of Yale was supposed to be an easy winner and Poynter a good second. Smith came into the stretch first, buthe was running hard and was closely followed by Applegate. About forty yards from the finish the latter made a beautiful spurt, came up on Smith, ran evenly with him for a second, and then left him, winning by four or five yards.

The two mile run was Harvard's easily, since all the Yale men had given up by the time the last turn was reached. Foote led into the stretch, but was passed by Richardson just before the finish.

In the 220 yards hurdles Hallowell and Thomas ran evenly for the first nine hurdles, but then Thomas weakened perceptibly and finished in third place. Haigh and Clerk led the greater part of the way in the 220 yards dash, but were passed by Boardman near the finish.

Beck and Johnson easily won their events for Yale, but the other field events were as easily won by Harvard. Stillman made several good throws in the hammer, but fouled each time.

The summary follows:

100 Yards Dash.

First heat--Won by Richards, Y.; second, Gleason, Y.; third, Haigh, H. Time, 10 1-5s.

Second heat--Won by Butler, H.; second, Blount, Y.; third, Bernstein, H. Time, 10 1-5s.

Final--Won by Richards, Y.; second, Haigh, H.; third, Butler, H. Time, 10 1-5s.

20 Yards High Hurdles.

First heat--Won by Hallowell, H.; second, Abercrombie, H. Time, 16 2-5s.

Second heat--Won by Willis, H.; second, Thomas, Y. Time, 16 2-5s.

Final--Won by Hallowell, H.; second, Thomas, Y.; third, Abercrombie, H. Time, 15 4-5s.

440 Yards Dash.

Won by Boardman, Y.; second, Clerk, H.; third, Dean, H. Time, 51 3-5s.

Mile Run.

Won by Smith, Y.; second, Weston, Y.; third, Knowles, H. Time, 4m. 36 3-5s.

880 Yards Run.

Won by Applegate, H.; second, Smith, Y.; third, Poynter, Y. Time, 2m. 2s.

220 Yards Low Hurdles.

First heat--Won by Willis, H.; second, Thomas, Y. Time, 25 3-5s.

Second heat -- Won by Hallowell, H.; second, Hubbard, H. Time, 27s.

Final--Won by Hallowell, H.; second, Willis, H.; third, Thomas, Y. Time, 25 4-5s.

220 Yards Dash.

First heat--Won by Richards, Y.; second, Clerk, H.; third, Gleason, Y. Time, 22 1-5s.

Second heat--Won by Boardman, Y.; second, Lightner, H.; third, Haigh, H. Time, 23 1-5s.

Final--Won by Boardman, Y.; second, a tie between Haigh, H., and Clerk, H. Time, 22 2-5s.

Two Mile Run.

Won by Richardson, H.; second, Foote, H.; third, Blakemore, H. Time, 9m. 57 3-5s.

Shot Put.

Won by Beck, Y., 43 ft. 5 in.; second, Ellis, H., 39 ft. 4 in.; third, Brown, H., 38 ft. 8 3-4 in.

High Jump.

Won by Rice, H., 6 ft.; second, Rotch, H., 5 ft. 11 in.; third, a tie between Glidden, H., and Ellis, H., at 5 ft. 7 1-4 in.

Broad Jump.

Won by Shirk, H., 21 ft. 6 1-2 in; second, Daly, H., 21 ft. 5 in.; third, Harris, H., 20 ft. 8 in.

Hammer Throw.

Won by Boal, H., 144 ft. 2 1-2 in.; second, Stillman, Y., 134 ft. 6 in.; third, Ellis, H., 127 ft. 3 in.

Pole Vault.

Won by Johnson, Y., 10 ft. 8 in.; second, a tie between Adriance, Y., Hord, Y, Hoyt, H., and Prouty, H., at 10 ft. 3 in. Second and third points divided. On the toss for the medals Adriance won the second and Hoyt the third.

The points won in the several events this year and in the same events in last year's meet are given below:

1900.  1899.  H.  Y.  H.  Y.100 yards dash,  3  5  3  5120 yards hurdles,  6  2  6  2440 yards dash,  3  5  5  3Mile run,  1  7  1  7880 yards run,  5  3  1  7220 yards low hurdles,  7  1  8  0220 yards dash,  3  5  2  6Two-mile run,  8  0Shot put,  3  5  5  3High jump,  8  0  7 1/4  3/4Broad jump,  8  0  8  0Hammer throw,  6  2  8  0Pole vault,  1 1/2  6 1/2  0  8  --  --  --  --  62 1/2  41 1/2  54 1/4  41 3/