Lecture on Education.

Colonel Francis W. Parker lectured last night in Sever 11 on the general subject of "Education." He said in part:

Little thought is needed to see that the logical basis from which an intelligent interest in work may be obtained is the establishment of community life among the children of each school. This may be done by a teacher with only slight effort, because the teacher is the natural creator of public opinion, which is an acknowledged power among children as well as others.

Though the instructor is thus an important factor in the community life of a school, correct principles of teaching are quite as essential. In the first place, knowledge as an ultimate goal must be abolished. It has brought with it a system of little less than bribery, in the shape of elaborate methods of marks and examinations -- a system under which true development is put aside for deceptive prizes and honors. The reasonable way of teaching is to bring before the child the incentives of that community life to which reference has already been made. For example, modelling and drawing should be made interesting for their own sake from the beginning, and should not be taught merely as a dry means to some future achievement. By applying this idea to other branches of learning, the technique of the various arts and sciences could be acquired almost incidentally, without the undue emphasis which it now receives. The long years wasted over dull statistics could be used for the acquisition of vital knowledge, in which the student could see his own ideals and follow them unconsciously. Education should develop a pupil's ability as well as his knowledge; and this result can never be obtained until effort is made to furnish him with the qualifications for useful citizenship rather than for mere pedantry.