Work of the Prospect Union.

During the past winter the Prospect Union has met with fair success in its work, though in some branches a slight falling off in interest has been noticed. Of the thirty courses offered by Harvard men the most popular were shorthand, mechanical drawing, Latin, arithmetic, elocution and reading. Most of the classes contained only from five to eight members, a fact which has made possible considerable individual attention. Especially successful work was done in the boys' class in elocution, taught by D. F. Davis '00.

It has been decided to have in future a superintendent of the educational department of the Union, whose duties shall consist in overseeing the work of the various courses, in arranging for new teachers and in looking after the general interests of the department. L. R. Moore 1G, will be charge next year.

The reading room has again proved so useful a part of the Union that it will be kept open during the coming summer. It is supplied at intervals with entirely new sets of books from the Cambridge Public Library.

An important part of the year's work has been the Wednesday evening lectures. Early in the fall, H. W. Foote '97 gave a talk on "Athletics in England," based on the experience of the American track team last summer. Other speakers connected with Harvard were: Professor F. G. Peabody, Professor H. Munsterberg, Dr. M. H. Bailey, Professor S. M. Macvane, Professor F. W. Taussig, Lieut. R. C. Smith, Mr. O. T. Copeland and J. Q. Wood 3L. A concert was also given by the "Lost Chords Double Quartette." The following Harvard students taught classes: A. H. Shearer 1G., J. Connolly 1M., S. S. Fitzgerald '00, L. T. Baker '00, H. W. Sanford '00, R. W. Foster '00, H. E. Sargeant '00, J. Wilson '00, M. Seasongood '00, J. P. Sanborn, Jr., '00, F. C. Kidner '00, W. D. Lambert '00, H. Ward '00, E. J. Whittier '01, L. S. Jackson '01, G. Ireland '01, W. A. Heilprin '01, E. Pettus '01, J. G. Brackett '01, D. F. Davis '00, S. Thurber, Jr., '01, L. B. Serviss '02, C. G. Montross '02, S. Stickney '02, J. M. Love '02, A. S. Pease '02, A. Friedman '02, M. A. Adler '03, J. M. Gates Sc.