Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship

The Department of the Classics announces the establishment of the Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship in Greek Studies. This fellowship has been established by Mr. James Loeb '88 of New York, "in grateful recognition of the long and great friendship which Professor Norton has shown him since his boyhood, and in order to record in a fitting manner the eminent services which Professor Norton has rendered the cause of Archaeology, and his beneficient prominence in the Archaeological Institute of America and the American School of Classical Studies at Athens."

Competition for the fellowship is open to members of the Senior class in Harvard College and of the Graduate School of Harvard University, and to Seniors and Graduate Students in Radcliffe College. It has an annual income of $600.

The award will be made by a committee appointed by the Department of the Classics, of which committee Professor Norton is to be a member during his life, on the basis of a thesis on a subject approved by this committee, and of such other evidence of scholarship as may be accessible. In the award, no account is to be taken of the financial means of the competitor. The editors of the Harvard Studies in Classical Philology will have the right to publish the thesis of the successful candidate.

The incumbent of the fellowship must agree to pursue his studies for the year of his incumbency at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, and to devote himself to the study of some special subject in the field of Greek history, literature, art, archaeology, epigraphy, or topography. He shall also agree to write and publish, at the end of the year of his fellowship, a monograph embodying the results of his investigations.

In accordance with the terms of the fellowship, notice is given that the first award will be made in the spring of 1901, for the academic year 1901-'02. The following subjects for theses are proposed by the committee: The Idea of Beauty, as developed in Plato's writings and else-where in Greek Literature; A Comparison between the Tragedies of Seneca and their Greek Originals; The Constitution of Athens, from Solon to the Macedonian Conquest; Writing in the Mycenaean Age.

Candidates may, however, with the consent of the committee, write on other classical subjects. Applications for admission to candidacy must be made to the chairman of the Department of the Classics not later than November 1, 1900, and the theses of approved candidates must be presented to the chairman not later than March 1, 1901.