HARVARD VS. PENNSYLVANIA.

Cricket Team Plays its First Intercollegiate Match Today at Philadelphia.

The cricket team left yesterday to play its games in the intercollegiate series with the University of Pennsylvania and with Haverford. The game with the former eleven will be played today.

The Harvard team began indoor work after Christmas this year with a much larger squad than usual. Before the spring recess the squad had been cut down to seventeen and with these men outdoor work was begun. A great disadvantage here has been that the team has had no crease and has been obliged to resort to a practice wicket with a matting placed in front of the batsman. Despite this handicap, however, the men have improved consistently from the start. In bowling, Bradley is the steadiest man and has downed the most wickets, though Drinkwater and Wilder can alro be relied upon for effective work. The non-appearance of J. A. Lester with the team has been a great disappointment, as he has been its mainstay for three years, both in bowling and batting. In batting, Lowry, Drinkwater, and Macneill are perhaps most to be relied upon.

Pennsylvania has a number of old players, among them O'Neil and Climenson who bowled against Harvard last year and who are strong batters. Harvard's batting order will be: Macneill, Drinkwater, Lowry, Murray, Fairweather, Paul, Mather, Brown, Taylor, Bradley, Wilder; substitute, E. J. Samson '01.