The May Monthly.

Professor Hollis gives, in the opening article of the May Monthly, a summary of the statements which we have had at various times concerning the Harvard Union. After disposing of the various arguments against the Quincy street site, he describes the external appearance and internal arrangement of the building. No new plans have been devised and the question of a restaurant and of bed-rooms is still open. Professor Hollis closes with the observation that, contrary to first expectations, the smaller clubs are really the College element most interested in the success of the Union.

"The Heart of the Brave," although unsigned, is plainly the work of a Monthly contributor who has given us on other occasions readable and enjoyable Western and Indian stories. And the present story is no exception. Indeed, it is good enough to be called the best thing in the Monthly.

"On Black Ice," by M. Churchill '00, is a fashionable dialogue which, in spite of its harshness to man's insight, is extremely laughable.

J. P. White '00 shows in "The Case of Mr. Henry Arthur Jones" that he has made a careful study of the modern drama. In fact, one may say that the article is so technical, and it may be most excellent, that one hesitates to say anything about it. Then, too, the writers assurance is sufficient to cause hesitancy on the part of a reviewer who has not made a study of the drama.

In spite of the excellent color to "Gabe," by O. F. Cooper '02, one's attention is kept from the story by the count of "dam"s scattered through the sketch. "Lady Barbara's Song," by R. M. Green '02, has a simple lyric note, commendable and desirable.

The editorial is an appreciative comment on the rise and progress of "East and West," a monthly magazine of letters started last fall by two Columbia graduates, desirous of preserving the literary ideals obtained in their academic work. Such a project deserves the support as well as the sympathy of college men.

The magazine closes with three long book reviews which show considerable care in preparation, though they are quite eulogistic.