Metropolitan Regatta.

The sixth annual Metropolitan regatta was held on the Charles River yesterday afternoon under unfavorable conditions. The rough water caused two accidents. In the junior eight oar race, the Union Boat club interscholastic crew was swamped one-third of a mile from the start, when they were almost a length ahead of the Weld and Newell crews.

The school-boys rigged a new shell and rowed a very plucky race in the intermediate event. In the novice singles H. G. Hart '01 upset about a quarter of a mile from the finish and it was some time before the "Veritas" could reach him.

The best race of the afternoon was the senior single sculls. Greer of Jeffries Point led almost all the way, with the other four contestants close behind him. Snite of the Weld came in second.

The Weld senior crew was badly beaten by the senior crew of the Millstream Boat club. The Weld crew got off first, but by the bridge Millstream had gained a length, and all the way to the finish they gradually increased their lead.

The Newell crew won the intermediate race with ease. There was a close struggle for second between the junior interscholastic and the Weld crews, the latter winning by about two feet. In the junior race, after the school boys had swamped, the Weld and Newell crews rowed a very even race all the way, the Weld winning at the finish by a few feet.

The novice singles race was easily won by A. S. Hardy of the Union boat club.