SEATS AT FOOTBALL GAMES.

New Scheme of Distribution Submitted to the Athletic Committee.

By C. H. Schweppe.

The publication of the following report is authorized by the Athletic Committee:

To the Athletic Committee, Harvard University:

We have examined the report made by the sub-committee on the allotment of seats to the football games, and the suggestions of the graduate manager, with a view of making regulations which will prevent a repetition of the confusion of last fall.

We recommend that the sale of season tickets to the games continue as at present, that the allotment of seats for the important games be made in the following order of precedence:

First, undergraduate season ticket holders.

Second, undergraduates.

Third, graduate season ticket holders.

Fourth, graduates.

Fifth, general public season ticket holders.

Sixth, general public.

It is proposed for the big games to reserve for the members of teams and for coaches two sections on the Harvard side, one of which will be a centre section, the other centre section to be reserved exclusively for undergraduates unaccompanied by ladies. Undergraduates applying for single seats will be supplied from this section. The remaining seats on the Harvard side of the field, nine sections in all, will be assigned as indicated above. The effect of this will be to give to the undergraduates all the centre sections, with the exception of one section reserved for teams and coaches. Each undergraduate will be entitled to purchase two seats. So far as possible, the seats for members of teams, for coaches and for other privileged persons, will be within the following limits:

This is a reduction in the number of seats given to privileged persons from 3800 of last season to 1080 for next season. Under the head of unclassified in the above table, it is proposed to allow special privileges to a few persons connected with the University who can not be classified under the ordinary headings, but the allotment to these privileged persons will in all cases be subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee.

In our opinion, it would be well to form a permanent athletic organization, to be called the Harvard Athletic Association, whose income would be raised by fixed dues. This association should provide for the opportunities to practice and to engage in all sports, but ought not to be responsible for the extra expense incident to the formation of teams and to the management of their intercollegiate contests. A ticket of membership should be issued entitling the holder to admission to all games on the home grounds and to membership in the boat clubs. It is estimated that dues of five dollars will be sufficient to cover the ordinary expenses connected with the grounds and buildings, provided that students generally join the association. Members of teams and substitutes, about 64, 10 each,  640 Head coach,  20 Captain,  20 Coaches, about 10, 10 each,  100 Coaches, about 20, 5 each,  100 Undergraduate managers,  50 Unclassified,  150   -- Total,  1080