The Architectural Building.

All the plans for the architectural building are now completed and work on the foundations will probably begin during July. It is hoped that by the fall of 1901 the whole building will be ready for use.

The building will stand on the corner of Quincy street and Broadway on the site now occupied by Professor Laugdell's house, facing south, and so arranged as to form with Sever Hall one side of a new quadrangle to be completed by a new building in the future. The construction will be of brick with Indiana limestone trimmings which will harmonize with Sever Hall and the Fogg Art Museum. The general character of the architecture will be Greek.

The building as planned is two stories high. The main entrance, which will be of Istrian stone, will be reached by a flight of steps from the quadrangle. There will also be a side entrance on the west for the use of students. On the lower floor, an exhibition hall, 52 feet long and 32 feet wide, is to be devoted to a valuable collection of Greek, Roman, and Renaissance casts. This hall will extend upward through two stories. In the rear of the ground floor there will be a corridor, separated from the exhibition hall by Doric columns supporting the corridor of the upper floor, on which is a similar series of Ionic columns. A large lecture room, a stereopticon gallery, a smaller lecture room, a room for the display of working models and building materials, a coat room, three small rooms for instructors, and a janitor's room, will occupy the remainder of the space on the ground floor.

The main drawing-room, 140 feet long and 30 feet wide, will fill the entire north side of the upper floor. From this room open dirctly a smaller drawing-room on the south east corner and a library on the southwest.

The donor of the building, whose name has not yet been made public, has given additional funds which will make it possible at least to double the number of volumes and photographs in the library, and of the casts in the department collection.