Camera Club Prizes Awarded.

The prizes offered by the Camera club for the best set of pictures illustrating different phases of Harvard life have been awarded as follows: First medal--W. B. Swift '01, with special commendation; second medal--J. Burroughs '01; first honorable mention--R. P. Perry '00; second honorable mention--M. Buckley 1L.

The set of pictures for which the first prize was awarded includes a wide variety of subjects, and at the same time is remarkably fine from both a technical and an artistic point of view. Besides giving an excellent idea of many College buildings, it is valuable as showing present customs in dress, in athletic contests and in many other branches of life. The collection which took second prize consists largely of interior views, taken with great taste and skill. Of the pictures which were given first mention, perhaps the best is a view of Harvard Hall and the First Parish Church, including the Gate. Of those which received second mention, two of the Palfrey House are especially good in their massing of light and shade.

About 230 pictures in all were entered for the contest. Probably half of these will be selected for preservation with the March journals in a sealed chest, and the rest will form a nucleus for a new collection which it has been decided to form. This new collection will be kept in the Gore Hall Library, and will be accessible at all times to members of the University, as part of the regular College records. Students are asked to contribute pictures to it from year to year, giving their attention principally to subjects not already illustrated. As a means of insuring general interest in the plan, the Camera club will hereafter hold an annual contest, similar to the one that has just taken place, and it is probable that many of the pictures thus obtained will be added to the proposed collection. It is hoped that the prize pictures of this year's contest, as well as the others, may be put on exhibition for a few days in Sever in order that all who are interested can get a more definite idea of the subjects chosen.