FOOTBALL PRACTICE

Actual Play Begun.--Twenty Men go to Training Table.

Yesterday afternoon the University football squad engaged in the first actual play of the season.

The preliminary work was considerably shorter than heretofore. The men were first lined up in three divisions, according to positions, and given practice in starting with the snap of the ball. Then four squads under Hallowell, Lawrence, Sawin and Gierasch practiced falling on the fall. The backs and ends then spent half an hour in receiving and getting down on kicks, while the line men were coached in breaking through and blocking. After this each of the four teams worked on the tackling dummy in turn, while the other three practiced signals. Only the simple plays were executed, particular attention being paid to work of the backs in forming tandem plays.

Then three halves of three minutes each were played, the first actual line-up of the season. The squad was divided into four elevens, as usual. The first was matched against the second, and later against the third; while the second eleven played the fourth. There was no attempt at actual scoring, the ball being given first to one team and then to the other. J. L. Knox '98 acted referee and W. D. Eaton '02 as umpire. Dibble was assisted in coaching by B. G. Waters '95 and W. H. Lewis L. S. '95.

Rainsford, guard on the second eleven last year, and Baldwin, captain and quarterback of last year's Freshman eleven, came out for the first time. Howe '04, who played guard on the Andover team last fall, also joined the squad today.

Following is the line-up of the first two elevens: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Morse. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Spratt. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Carroll. Sargent, c.  c., Sugden. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Riggs. Knowlton, l.t.  r.t., Blagden. Hawkins, l.e.  r.e., Cooper. Sherlock, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley. E. Kendall, Derby, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Sawin. Gierasch, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Kernan. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., I. W. Kendall.

The following men will go to the training tables for lunch today: Daly, Campbell, Hallowell, J. Lawrence, Sawin, C. Sargent, Barnard, Lee, Bowditch, Graydon, Sugden, Knowlton, Derby, Gierasch, W. Kendall, E. Kendall, Blagden, Hawkins, Stillman and Kernan.