Lecture on the Inomotor.

Dr. Sargent gave a lecture in the Fogg Museum last night on the origin, construction and practical uses of his recent invention, the inomotor. His remarks were illustrated by diagrams and the utility of the machine when used as a means of systematic exercise, and for a symmetrical development was shown by several performances on the machine by Mr. H. A. Higgins, a professional model. In speaking of the purpose and value of the inomotor, Dr. Sargent said in part:

One of the greatest faults with the present apparatus of the gymnasium is that its form of exercises is monotonous. An attempt has been made to supply this want by so constructing a machine that exercise on it will afford an opportunity for competition in different kinds of races. It is also intended to furnish the best means of strengthening and developing all the muscles of the body in a natural way, so that the heart and lungs will be equally developed without overtaxing them with too vigorous efforts.

The mechanism is, in its simplest aspect a pair of levers connected with four adjustable rods, with a sliding seat and foot rest; these in turn, are connected by a power applying rod to a crank or sprocket wheel. By this arrangement any movement of the arms, legs, or trunk, is converted into a mechanical advantage contributing to the revolution of the gear wheels.

In conclusion, the value of the machine for instruction in oarsmanship was shown by a short race between F. J. Snite 3 L., and Mr. F. Dohs.