The Advocate.

The first issue of the Advocate for the new year contains an adequate editorial on the question of College entrance examinations in English, and one clever and original story. The other articles are less deserving of praise.

In "Jim's Confession," R. W. Atkinson treats a phase of life which to many is entirely new. He tells of the social conditions and customs at Panape, one of the Ladrone Islands in the Pacific. His story is not skillfully written, but is vigorous and full of life. The plot deals with the passionate and unselfish love of a native woman for a white adventurer. The story was, perhaps, inspired by Kipling's "Without Benefit of Clergy," but the author's development of the idea has many original merits. "A Circus Madonna," by Murray Seasongood '00 is a feeble attempt at delineation of character. "Mary," by Ernest A. Wye '01, is a most disappointing story. It starts well, but ends nowhere. After sketching characters and choosing a good setting for a plot, the writer evidently concluded to let "well enough alone" and so did not bother about action.

Very different is Richard Edwards's storiette, entitled "Beans." In it there is dash and movement, but no plot, and only half-sketched people. "Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men," is rather amusing, but decidedly thin. "Mademoiselle Lesperance," by Witter Bynner '02, and "A Camp Fire Yarn," are short sketches. A poem, entitled "Ambition." by A. C. White '02, verses on "Seadown" and "Cras Ingens Iterabimus Aequor," printed anonymously, and two book reviews complete the number.