Acquisition to the Museum.

The Museum of Comparative Zoology has recently secured the celebrated collection of mamma's made during the past ten years by Mr. Outram Bangs, and his brother, Mr. E. A. Fangs. The importance of the acquisition is increased by the fact that the working collection of mammals previously owned by the museum was not large, and the specimens, though often of considerable scientific value, were in many cases poorly prepared. Furthermore, all were prepared according to antiquated methods, and were lacking in accurate data.

The new collection comprises some ten thousand skins, mostly of Eastern North American specimens, and includes about a hundred type specimens. The skulls of the animals are kept in separate cases, and are numbered to correspond with the respective skins-a method not adopted in the preparation of the original collection, where the skulls are not removed and consequently are not readily studied. Every specimen is accompanied by a label, with full data, including measurements made from the living animal.

The collections in a room on the fifth floor of the museum. Large zinc cases have been made, with sliding wooden travs to hold the specimens. Mr. Cutram Bangs has been appointed assistant in mammalogy at the museum, and will have charge of the arrangement and maintenance of the collection.