THE GERMAN PLAY

"Minna von Barnhelm" Excellently Presented and Well Received.

Lessing's "Minna von Barnhelm" was acted last night in Sanders Theatre, by the theatrical company from the Irving Place Theatre in New York under the management of Heinrich Conreid. The performance was very well received, particularly the third and fifth acts, which aroused considerable enthusiasm. At the end, the audience rose and gave the actors an ovation which was responded to by Mr. Conreid. He said that the two trips which his company had made to Harvard had been the most gratifying triumphs that they had experienced. He thanked the audience for their reception and said that he hoped to return with his company next year.

Miss Hedwig Lange, who played the title role was most charming as the teasing but loving finance of von Tellheim, played by Carl Emmerich. She acted naturally and with a fine interpretation of her part. The acting of Miss Marie Eisenhut, as Franziska was also of a high character although her part was. perhaps, a little less difficult. The women of the cast were better than the men, but the latter merit a great deal of praise, especially Mr. Kierschner and Mr. Ottbert. The whole performance was decidedly creditable, and Mr. Conried deserves great commendation for its production.

The music was furnished by the Pierian Sodality, and was well rendered and pleasing.