REPORT OF THE MUSEUM

Work in the Several Departments During the Past Year.

The annual report of the assistant in charge of the Museum of Comparative Zoology was published yesterday. The report, including a general introduction by Mr. Woodworth, the assistant in charge, and nine other special reports, covers 41 pages, and presents a complete account of all the work done by the different departments in the University Museum during 1899-1900, and a list of the publications.

Mr. Woodworth summarizes briefly the work carried on in the museum, the changes and improvements in the building, and gives a somewhat detailed account of the recent gifts made to the different departments. The report closes with an account of the voyage of the "Albatross" to the tropical islands of the Pacific and the deep sea discoveries made by the Harvard exploring party on board.

The report on the Zoological Laboratory, by Professor E. L. Mark, gives a detailed resume of the work done in the laboratory, during the past year, by the different classes and by some of the individual students. The report on the geological and geographical laboratories, written by Professors Shaler, Davis, Jackson and Ward, is, to an outsider, the most interesting chapter in the pamphlet. It contains accounts of the field work being done by the different classes, of the surveying and geological mapping of the Middlesex Fells Reservation and of the different explorations recently carried on by members of the department in Nova Scotia, among the Rocky Mountains, in the Yellowstone Park and in other localities.

The pamphlet includes also reports on "Mammals and Birds," on "Fishes and Reptiles," on the "Entomological Department," on the "Mollusca and Crustacea," on the departments of Vertebrate and Invertebrate Paleontology. The library is announced to have received, since July 1899, 252 new volumes, 2,681 parts of volumes, 952 pamphlets, and 29 maps. These accessions, added to the numbers reported in 1899, give the library a total of 32,467 volumes and 24,346 pamphlets.

Much of the data published in the general report of the Museum will be reprinted with the president's report.