PRACTICE IMPROVING.

Some Team Play Appears. -- Backs Start More Quickly.

The practice yesterday was encouraging. The men played together better, interference was formed, and the backs started more quickly than heretofore.

About fifty of the squad went immediately on the University field, where they went through preliminary practice. The backs and ends punted, caught and ran down under punts. The linemen were coached by Lewis and Waters, and the backs by J. Dunlop '96. The rest of the squad practiced outside on the dummy, which MacMaster has improved in such a way that when tackled it breaks from the supporting rope and is thrown to the ground in much the same manner as a runner.

Two fifteen minute halves were played, in which neither team scored. There was not as much fumbling as usual, and the same men, for the most part, recovered the ball quickly. For the first time this year interference was formed which the backs could follow fairly well. The runners started quickly and seemed able to take advantage of the openings. The ends played aggressively, especially Bowditch, Mayer and Burgess. Ristine was at end for the first time this year, but did not appear to be in good form. Eaton showed much more aggressiveness than usually. Although Frantz has not played in any line-ups yet, he shows up well in practice, and may become a strong candidate for tackle or guard. Rainsford and Barnard played excellently at times, but were careless too frequently. Sargent did well at center, getting through and blocking plays several times. Devens gained much ground through the line, and got his punts off well, though not for good distances. Jones, at halfback, made good gains through the line and around the ends, and played consistently to the end, but failed to follow his interference.

The line-up: A  B Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Morse, Matthews Lawrence, Wright, r.t.  l.t., Eaton Barnard, Hollingsworth, r.g.  l.g., Hovey Sargent, Sugden, c.  c, Greene Grew, South, l.g.  r.g., Rainsford Dodge, Graydon, l.t.,  r.t., Jones Hutchinson, Motley, Mayer, l.e.  r.e., Littig, Ristine Baldwin, q.b.  q.b., Noyes Jones, Piper, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Knowles Swann, Derby, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Ives, Pettit Meier, Devens, f.b.  f.b., Boyd, Parmelee