HARVARD, 29; CARLISLE, 0.

Good Team Play Wins An Easy Victory Over a Lighter Team.

Harvard defeated Carlisle on Saturday by the score of 29 to 0. Carlisle had not the variety of trick plays which it had last year and its line was too weak to admit of their being worked effectively. Only once did a trick play result in a considerable gain, when toward the end of the first half Johnson, on a double pass, carried the ball 20 yards around left end. The success of this play encouraged Carlisle to rush the ball to the 8 yard line, where time was called. Except for this the Harvard goal was never seriously threatened.

Harvard's playing showed the best team work of this year. Every man got into the play, and the linemen were especially effective in helping the runners along. The backs kept their feet remarkably well and often dragged almost the entire Carlisle team with them several yards. The interference on end runs was effective, and was closely followed by the backs, but the excellent work of Carlisle's ends prevented long end gains. The interference which formed for Kernan's 50 yard run was the best this season. Harvard, however, had many faults which would have resulted seriously against a heavier team. The linemen were slow in charging, and the backs at times hesitated in starting with the ball. The plays were run off slowly and not with sufficient dash to them. The players were slow in getting down on punts and when they got down did not tackle low or surely enough. The tackling of Harvard throughout the game, although hard, was high and uncertain. There was some fumbling, but the ball was always recovered except when Mifflin fumbled on Carlisle's 12 yard line. The Harvard team was quick to take advantage of Carlisle's fumbling and secured the ball twice in this way. On the defensive, Harvard's line was strong, choking up plays directed through the line, and on end runs breaking through and destroying the interference.

The tackles were the strongest places in the line, Blagden and Cutts both opening holes for frequent gains. Both were slow in running with the ball. Lee and Barnard played noticeably well, breaking through the line and dragging the plays along. Barnard against Wheelook was especially capable and played with considerable spirit. Clark was quick to recover fumbles, but was slow in getting down the field. He defended his end well except when he allowed himself to be boxed on Johnson's run for 20 yards. Campbell prevented gains around his end, but was not always able to get Hare out of the way. He ran down quickly on punts, but did not tackle surely. Motley played with spirit, getting under the plays and tackling the runners accurately. Marshall at quarterback was nervous at first and fumbled two punts, but steadied down later and played brilliantly. He ran back punts for good gains, dodging well and fighting till downed. In his running of the team he showed commendable judgment. Ristine ran low and hard, and kept his feet well. Kernan followed his interference perfectly, and by his punting gained much ground for Harvard. McGrew at fullback played the best game he has done this year hitting the line hard, though a little high, and keeping his feet cleverly. His recovery of Carlisle's fumble and a rush of 25 yards through the line were excellent plays.

The Carlisle team was weaker in every way than it has been for five years. Besides a lack of weight and strength this team had no brilliant players like Hudson, Metoxen and the Pierces; so the large score by no means shows any remarkable strength in the Harvard team.

THE GAME IN DETAIL.

Marshall kicked off to Johnson, who ran the kick back 20 yards. Failing to gain, Palmer punted outside at the 50-yard line. Kernan made no gain, but Blagden made 8 yards through right tackle. Kernan and Ristine worked the tackles for short gains, bringing the ball to the 20-yard line whence McGrew, by steady bucking, carried it over for the first touchdown. Marshall caught the punt-out, but Carlisle blocked the kick for goal.

Marshall fumbled the next kickoff, but managed to gain 7 yards. Ristine went around left end for 15 yards, and Kernan followed by a plunge through left tackle for 10 yards. Kernan went around right end for 15 yards, and McGrew and Cutts each gained 4 yards. Cutts failed to gain on the next play, but McGrew made the distance. Carlisle got the ball on the next play for holding, but immediately lost it on a fumble. McGrew, Kernan and Ristine each made short gains, but Harvard was held on downs. Carlisle could not gain, so Palmer punted to Marshall, who fumbled. Kernan, however, got the ball in the middle of the field. From this point, Marshall, using excellent judgment, worked Blagden, Kernan, Ristine and McGrew for short gains through the line, finally sending Kernan over for a touchdown. Cutts kicked goal.

Carlisle's kick-off went over the line. Johnson ran back Kernan's free kick 15 yards, and on the next play, through a double pass, went around left end for 20 yards. Shor gains through the line by Yarlott, Leroy and Beaver brought the ball to the 8-yard line, where time was called.

Kernan returned the next kick-off to Carlisle's 50-yard line. Carlisle failed to gain and Palmer punted to Marshall, who advanced the ball 17-yards. Kernan punted to Johnson on the 40-yard line. Carlisle got 5 yards for Harvard's interference and gained 3 yards through the line, but was then forced to punt. Marshall ran the punt back 7 yards. Kernan punted to Johnson who fumbled when tackled and McGrew got the ball on the 40-yard line. Gains through tackles and short end runs by Blagden, McGrew and Kernan resulted in a touchdown, McGrew carrying the ball over. Cutts kicked goal.

Kernan returned the kick off to Johnson on Carlisle's 48 yard line, but the latter lost it on a forward pass. On the next play the men formed for a tackles back play, and Kernan went around right end. The interference formed perfectly and swept the opposing players off their feet, and Kernan scored. Cutts kicked goal.

Kernan returned the next kick off, gaining 8 yards on the exchange. Motley broke up two plays around his end and Carlisle was forced to punt. Kernan ran the kick back 8 yards and on the next play punted to Johnson who advanced the ball 7 yards. With the ball on their 15 yard line Carlisle was unable to gain and Cutts broke through and blocked the punt, Carlisle recovering the the ball, however. Carlisle lost 5 yards on a double pass, but was given 5 yards on Harvard's interference in the next play. Palmer punted to Marshall who carried in back 4 yards. Short gains by Blagden, Ristine and McGrew brought the ball to the 36 yard line where McGrew broke through the line for 20 yards. Ristine gained 7 yards, and Graydon then took McGrew's place. Graydon gained 4 yards, and then from the 8 yard line Ristine broke through left tackle and scored. Cutts kicked goal.

Marshall ran the next kick-off back 35 yards and was followed by Jones with a gain of 13 yards around left end. Kernan and Jones brought the ball to the 12 yard line where Mifflin took Kernan's place. He immediately fumbled and Carlisle got the ball. Decora punted poorly, the ball going out at the 25 yard line. Time was then called.

The line-up:

HARVARD.  CARLISLE.Clark, Motley, r.e.  l.e., BeaverCutts, r.t.  l.t., WilliamsBarnard, r.g.  l.g., Wheelock, PhillipsSargent, c.  c., ChesawLee, Greene, l.g.  r.g., DillonBlagden, l.t.  r.t., LuboCampbell, l.e.  r.e., HareMarshall, q.b.  q.b., JohnsonRistine, Jones, r.h.b.  l.h.b., LeroyKernan, Mifflin, l.h.b.  r.h.b., YarlottMcGrew, Graydon, f.b.  f.b Palmer, Saul, Decor