The French Lecturer.

M. Hugues LeRoux will this year deliver the fifth annual course of lectures under the auspices of the Cercle Francais.

Five years ago a fund was established by J. H. Hyde '98, for the purpose of bringing to Harvard each year a distinguished man of letters to lecture on French art, literature or history. M. Rene Doumic, a critic, was the first to come to Cambridge, in 1898, lecturing on "Histoire du Romantisme en France." In 1899, followed M. Edouard Rod, a critic and novelist, who spoke on "La Poesie Dramatique en France." The third lecture was M. Henri de Regnier, a poet, whose subject was "Poesie Contemporaine Francaise." Last year M. Gaston Deschamps, the literary critic of the "Temps," delivered the course of lectures on "Le Theatre Contemporain."

M. Le Roux will deliver a series of eight lectures on "Le Roman Contemporain." The first lecture, on February 22, will be a discussion of the question whether or not the contemporary French novel presents a truthful picture of French society. The next six lectures, coming on February 14, 17, 19, 21, 24 and 26, will deal with the French novelists, Flaubert, Daudet. Maupassant, Bourget, Zola and Anatole France. The final lecture on February 28 will treat of the young French novelists. There will also be delivered eight additional lectures on subjects of present interest.