HARVARD, 16; BATES, 6.

Bates Scores on a Bad Fumble.--Harvard Plays Carelessly

Harvard defeated Bates on Saturday by the score of 16 to 6 in a poorly and carelessly played game. Bates's team was weak and unskilled, and Harvard's failure to run up a larger score was due to the fumbling, lack of team play and general carelessness rather than to the strength of Bates. The quarterbacks showed lack of judgment in directing plays, for although the Bates ends were weak, very few end plays were tried. Then, after gaining considerable ground, some one would, sooner or later, fumble the ball and prevent the scoring. Twice in the first half Harvard fumbled and lost the ball within 15 yards of goal, and in the second half lost the ball three times by fumbles, the last time for a touchdown. Much of the fumbling and slow handling was due to Sargent's passing. Credit must be given to Bates for their quickness in taking advantage of fumbles and their effective defensive work at times.

The playing of Graydon in the line, Knowles, Mifflin and Ristine back of the line, and Campbell and Bowditch at ends stood out in contrast to that of the rest of the men. Graydon played aggressively on the offense and defense, and Campbell and Bowditch both prevented gains around their ends. Knowles and Ristine started quickly, broke through the line well, and fought until downed. Mifflin hit the line low and kept his feet well. McGrew at full back was slow in starting and struck the line too high. Swann at halfback was uncertain in handling the ball and did not keep his feet well. The linemen played awkwardly, and though able to make openings, seemed unable to do so at the right time. They were very unsteady, and were often off their balance when the plays began.

Bates kicked off to Graydon, who ran the ball back 15 yards. Mifflin went through the line for three yards. On the next play Ristine broke through the left tackle for 35 yards. Short gains by Ristine and Mifflin advanced the ball to the 12 yard line, where Harvard fumbled, but kept the ball. Mifflin was sent through for a touchdown. Campbell failed to kick goal. On the next kick off Bowditch ran the ball back 20 yards. Short gains by Mifflin, Derby, and Ristine and a 20 yard run by Derby, brought the ball to the 10 yard line, where it was lost on a fumble. Bates gained four yards on a double pass, but was held for downs. On Mifflin's fumble, Bates got the ball on her 12 yard line, but could not gain and was forced to punt. Harvard advanced the ball through the plunging of Mifflin and Knowles to the five yard line, where Mifflin was sent through for a touchdown. Campbell kicked goal. Time was called without any further scoring.

In the second half Harvard kicked off and soon gained the ball on a fumble. Swann made five yards through tackle and was followed by Knowles with a gain of seven yards. On the next play Knowles circled left end, shook off two or three tacklers, and ran 30 yards for a touchdown. Campbell failed to kick goal. On the next kick off the ball went over Harvard's goal line and on the free kick following Bates made a fair catch. Allen attempted a place catch from the 63 yard line; he failed and Matthews ran the ball back 15 yards. McGrew gained four yards and Knowles 12 yards, when the ball was lost on a fumble. Good plunges by Moody advanced the ball 18 yards and Allen tried a place kick. The line did not hold and the kick fell short. Matthews ran it back eight yards, but after a few plays Harvard fumbled again and lost the ball. Again Allen tried a place kick, but the kick was blocked, Harvard getting the ball. Shortly after this Swann fumbled the ball on the 15 yard line; Blake picked it up and, aided by Allen, made a touchdown. The punt out was caught and Allen kicked goal. Time was called immediately after.

The line-up: Harvard.  Bates. Bowditch, Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Pugsley Lawrence, Blagden, Jones, r.t.  l.t., Reed Barnard, Riggs, r.g.  l.g., Hunt Sargent, c.  c., Cutten Cutts, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Childs Graydon, Blagdon, Randolph, l.t.  r.t., Cole, Ramsdell Campbell, Thayer, l.e.  r.e., Blake Baldwin, Matthews, q.b.  q.b., Allen Ristine, Knowles, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Babcock Derby, Swann, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Moody Mifflin, McGrew, f.b.  f.b., Finn, Turner

Score--Harvard 16, Bates 6. Touchdowns--Mifflin 2, Knowles, Blake. Goals from touchdowns -- Campbell, Allen. Umpire--Sawin. Referee -- Dr. Newell. Timekeeper--Wood. Linemen--Devens of Harvard and Andrews of Bates. Time 15 and 10 minute halves.