The Yale Team.

Throughout the-season, Yale's outlook for a successful football team has been of the most promising nature. The early problem of procuring new material to fill the many vacancies left by last year's players was quickly decided, and from that time on the development of the team has progressed with unusual rapidity. Owing to the marked ability of certain candidates it was possible to pick the team comparitively early in the season, and as the men were thus enabled to play steadily together, team work has become the principal feature of the play.

Although Captain Brown, Stillman, Coy, Fincke, Sharpe and Hale did not return to college, and only three of the remaining members of last year's team could be used this fall, experienced material was not lacking from among the substitutes, and by the addition of several new men an eleven has been formed which is by no means below the Yale average. Captain Gould has been retained at his former position at left end where he is playing a faster and cleaner game than ever before, and with Swan, a quick, reliable man at the other end, the ends are among the strongest positions on the team. Hogan and Goss have proved worthy successors to Stillman and Bloomer at tackles, though both men are a trifle weak on the defensive. Hogan is not as heavy as Goss, but he advances the ball better and is more aggressive. Left guard, Captain Brown's old place, is now occupied by Olcott, who is putting up the same excellent game which he played last year at centre. The other guard position, since the disqualification of Glass, has been filled by substitutes, of whom Hamlin, a substitute tackle last year, seems to be the most promising man. He is a hard, earnest player but is hardly capable of maintaining his predecessor's standard. Holt at centre passes well and uses good judgment. He was substitute to Olcott last year. DeSaulles at quarterback has become a brilliant player, and is especially effective in receiving and running back punts. He also displays considerable generalship in directing plays. Of last year's backs Chadwick alone remains, and is playing a very consistent game at right half back. His end running, and that of Hart, the other halfback, is admirable, and he is very effective in bucking the line. Weymouth, the fullback, is, however, the best man for steady plunging. Wilhelmi, who has until recently played at left halfback, is an excellent substitute for either of the three last named players. Kunzig and Johnson are two prominent substitutes for line positions, but they are not strong in defensive work. Rafferty has been used recently at fullback, but it is doubtful if his playing can compare in effectiveness with that of Weymouth.

The interference both in end running and in line plays is perhaps the most highly developed and formidable that a Yale team has had for several years. Every man on the eleven seems to take part in every play, and on this account the runner is often helped along for many yards even after he has been thrown. The tackleback formation is still the principal reliance of the team, but the addition of end runs and a few trick plays gives considerable variety to the style of attack.

In punting, DeSaulles and Weymouth have done the best work, though neither has succeeded in maintaining a very high average. DeSaulles is practically the only good drop-kicker on the team.

George S. Stillman who has played tackle on Yale teams for several years is head coach of the eleven. He has been assisted in his work during the season by F. S. Butterworth '95, O. S. Hickok '95, R. Townsend '99, G. T. Adee '95, H. F. Benjamin '98, Rev. G. B. Cutten '97, W. T. Bull '88, M. U. Ely '98, J. A. Hall '98, F. G. Brown '01, F. A. Hinkey '95 and R. Armstrong '95.