HARVARD WINS

SCORE 33 to 6.

SOLDIERS FIELD, Nov. 3, 1900.--The annual football game between Harvard and the University of Pennsylvania was played here this afternoon. The weather was threatening and just a trifle too warm for good football. There was a very slight breeze which blew directly south across the gridiron, thus giving very little assistance to either team. The field was in perfect condition for fast play without being too hard.

The Harvard team had luncheon at 11.30, and went to the locker building an hour later in a barge. The Pennsylvania eleven arrived a few minutes afterward.

By 1 o'clock the spectators had begun to arrive, and soon there was a steady stream of people pouring into the big grandstands.

Long before the game the stands were filled to their full seating capacity of 16,000, and by the time the teams came on the field, every one was keyed up with anticipation.

Pennsylvania appeared first on the field at 1.45, and was given a hearty reception by the supporters of both teams. This was eclipsed, however, by the welcome given to the Harvard team, when it appeared at 1.53.

After a few minutes of signal practice, the teams lined up as follows: Harvard.  Pennsylvania Campbell, l.e.  r.e., W. Gardiner. Eator, l.t.  r.t., Wallace. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Teas. Sargent, c.  c., McCloskey. Barnard r.g  l.g., Hare. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Zimmerman. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Davidson. Daly, q.b.  q.b., Graves. Sawic, l.h.b.  r.h.b., J. Gardiner. Kendall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Potter. Ellis, f.b.  f.b., McCracken.

Umpire--Dashiel of Leigh. Referee--McClung of Lehigh.

Pennsylvania won the toss and defended the east goal.

At 2.03 Capt. Hall kicked off to Ellis on the 3 yard line. Ellis came back to the 25 yard line, and on the first play, Sawin gained 8 yard around left end.

Ellis got 4 through centre and Sawin added 16 through left tackle. Kendall made no gain at right end, but Sawin got 3 at right tackle. Pennsylvania held for downs on the next play.

On Penn's first play Hare made 10 yards through centre, but McCracken was stopped for no gain at the same place. Graves fumbled, but recovered and kicked to Daly on Harvard's 5 yard line.

Daly returned to Pennsylvania's 50 yard line, and on the first play McCracken fumbled, Campbell getting the ball.

Kendall made no gain at right tackle but got 3 around right end. Sawin added 8 at left end. On the next play the signals were missed and no gain resulted on a centre play.

Kendall got 1 yard at left end and Daly punted outside at Penn's 19 yard line. McCracken failed to gain through Eaton and Davidson made only 2 yards at left end, so Hare punted to Daly on his 45 yard line.

Daly got 2 yards on a double pass around right end and Ellis made 5 through centre. Sawin made 20 yards around left end.

Ellis added 4 through center. Kendall made 3 outside right tackle and Ellis 1 through Hare. Sawin then scored a touchdown by a 25 yard run between left end and tackle, aided by beautiful interference by Daly. Daly made a good punt out to Hallowell. Lawrence easily sicked the goal, making the score 6 to 0, in Harvard's favor after 14 minutes of play.

Hare again kicked off to Daly who brought the ball back to his 35 yard line where he was forced outside.

Sawin made 3 at left tackle and Ellis got 1 at centre. Daly then kicked a low bounding punt to Graves, who fumbled and J. Lawrence got the ball on Penn's 35 yard line. Hallowell hurt his leg is tackling Graves, but resumed play.

Sawin again got 3 yards at left tackle, and Ellis 3 between right guard and tackle, Sawin got 4 more at left tackle, Lawrence making a good hole. Kendall then made 2 yards at right tackle, and was laid out for a moment, but stayed in. Sawin then fumbled on a tackle play and Wallace got the ball for Pennsylvania on her 20 yard line.

McCracken and Wallace made 3 yards in two centre plunges and Hare tried to kick, but Lawrence broke through, blocked the kick and fell on the ball for Harvard's second touchdown, after Hare had tried in vain to recover it. Daly made another good punt-out and Lawrence kicked his second goal.

Daly carried Hare's kick-off back 20 yards and injured his arm slightly but soon resumed play.

Sawin got 1 yard at left end and Daly punted to Graves at Penn's 40 yard line, who fumbled and Hallowell secured the ball, making 10 yards before he was stopped.

Penn got the ball back on a fumble by Kendall, and Zimmerman and Wallace gained 3 yards apiece. Hare added 3 more, and McCracken 2. Davidson was stopped for no gain and Hare punted 10 yards to Daly, who came back 5 yards.

On a delayed pass Kendall fumbled again, but recovered the hall. Sawin got 4 yards at left end and Ellis 1 at centre. Kendall got 2 at right tackle and Daly punted to Potter on Penn's 22 yard kick.

Penn's players seemed to be suffering from stage fright, and McCracken had been doing the bulk of the defensive work.

Hare and Wallace made short gains and Hare punted to midfield. Kendall made only 1 yard at right end, and Ellis kicked over Pennsylvania's line, Graves being downed at the 8 yard line.

Hare made 8 yards at centre, but was stopped in another try at the same place. McCracken was stopped for a 2 yard gain at centre and Hare kicked to midfield, where Sawin was slightly injured in making the catch.

Kendall and Sawin made 11 yards in three tackle plays and Ellis bucked the centre for 4 yards more.

Sawin got 1 yard at left end and Ellis made first down by a 4 yard plunge at centre, taking the ball to Penn's 25 yard line.

Kendall made 3 at left tackle, Ellis 2 at center and Sawin 10 at right tackle bringing the ball within 10 yards of the goal.

Kendall made 1 yard at right tackle and Ellis added 3 through Teas, W. Gardiner being hurt on the play, but resuming in a few moments.

With 1 yard to gain Sawin broke through left tackle and made the third touchdown, again helped by Daly's good interference, Lawrence making the hole.

Daly punted out for the third time, but Lawrence missed his first goal this year, making the score 17 to 0.

Daly made 25 yards with fine interference from the kick-off, and Kendall added 8 at right end. Sawin could not gain through Zimmerman and Ellis kicked to Graves on his 35 yard line. Time was called without further playing.

No subs yet. 17-0.

Penn's line seems to be overrated. Teas and Zimmerman were clearly outplayed by Lee and Lawrence, but steady gains were made through every part of the defense. Hare and Wallace only were effective on the offense. Harvard's plays worked very smoothly, and her and running was beautiful to watch.

All the men worked together perfectly on the defense and did fine work in blocking kicks. The backs all showed the best kind of interference and Daly used very good generalship. The team showed unexpectedly good condition during the first half and seemed to be stronger than Penn. at almost every point after the first few minutes of play.

Penn. confined herself to mass plays and straight football during the first half, while Harvard played a more open game, and used some tricks to good advantage.

Between the halves it was announced that Cornell had Princeton 5-0 at the end of the first half.

Harvard made no changes in her line-up in the second half, nor did Pennsylvania

Kendall kicked off to Gardiner, who made 15 yards, going to Penn's 30 yard line.

Zimmerman was laid out and Horner took his place, Hare punted 50 yards, and Daly was downed on Harvard's 30 yard line.

On the first play Sawin fumbled and Hare got the ball on Harvard's 24 yard line.

Ellis was hurt but did not leave the game.

The guards back was stopped for no gain at centre but on the next play, Hare got 4 yards through Barnard. McCracken made first down by a centre plunge and Penn. was given 10 yards for Hallowell's offside play. Then on the first end run by Penn. Hare went around Hallowell for a touchdown. On Hare's try for goal the ball hit the post and rebounded.

McCracken brought the kickoff to the middle of the field where Kendall downed him. Three centre plays netted 7 yards, but Harvard then held firmly and Hare kicked to Daly who was downed on Harvard's 20 yard line.

Sawin and Ellis made 5 yards in two plays but Ellis was hurt and Stillman took his place.

Two tackle plays netted 5 yards, Stillman gained 2 at centre and Sawin 2 more at left end. Sawin was hurt on the play and Gierasch went in.

Kendall made it first down by a tackle plunge and at once added 8 more yards around right end.

In the middle of field Daly tried to kick but Sargent's pass went over his head and McCracken blocked his attempt after recovering the ball. Daly secured the ball for Harvard, however, on the 20 yard line.

After a line play Daly again tried to kick, dropped the ball, but finally got it away. It hit a Penn. man and Campbell fell on it at the 45 yard line.

Ristine went in at Hallowell's place. Line plays failed to gain and Stillman punted beautifully to Penn's 25 yard line.

Hare then went round Ristine for 40 yards with fine interference.

McCracken made 2 yards gain and two tackle plays netted 4 yards. Harvard then held for downs on her 35 yard line.

Stillman kicked out of danger to Penn's 30 yard line. Hare wrenched his leg slightly on an end run, but resumed play. Hare kicked and Daly came back 25 yards to the middle of the field by good dodging and interference.

Bowditch took Campbell's place.

Three line plays gained 6 yards and Kendall added 11 on an end run. Giarasch got 6 through left tackle twice, taking the ball to Penn's 35 yard line.

Harvard lost the ball here through holding by Bowditch.

Penn. used line plays for short gains until they reached the 45 yard line, where Hare was forced to kick.

Daly caught the ball on his 25 yard line and made a 40 yard run by beautiful dodging.

Hodge took Davidson's place.

Five minutes to play.

Gierasch went round Hodge for 20 yards, taking the ball to Penn.'s 20 yard line.

Two end runs netted only 2 yards.

Kendall made first down on an end run.

Daly then missed a goal from the 25 line, the ball being blocked.

Penn lost a kick on her 10 yard line but Hare kicked out of danger.

The game ended with Harvard's ball on Pennsylvania's 5 yard line.THE PENNSYLVANIA TEAM.

No subs yet. 17-0.

Bowditch took Campbell's place.

Hodge took Davidson's place.

Five minutes to play.

Two end runs netted only 2 yards.

Kendall made first down on an end run.