THE FOOTBALL DINNER.

A Great Success.--Much Enthusiasm and Informality.

The football dinner at the American House last night was a great success. The enthusiasm which was shown at the dinner was of the same unanimous and heartfelt style which has characterized the support that Harvard gave to the team this fall. All the speeches were enthusiastically received and the cheering and singing added a touch of excitement to the evening.

There were about 300 men at the dinner. At the head table sat the eleven and the principal speakers; and below were tables for the coaches, the substitutes, and the baseball team. Most of the other guests were graduates, with a very few undergraduates.

After the dinner J. J. Storrow, president of the Athletic Association of Harvard Graduates, opened the evening. He made a brilliant little speech and then introduced as toastmaster J. H. Sears '89. Mr. Sears was a very happy toastmaster, and kept out any touch of formality. His introduction of the various speakers was full of fun and added lots of life to the dinner. He called on Colonel N. P. Hallowell '61 to propose the health of the President of the United States. Colonel Hallowell closed his speech, which was very witty and jolly, by reading a telegram from President Roosevelt '81, regretting that he could not be present at the dinner. The crowd then cheered the President, and drank his health, singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow," etc.

The other speakers were Major H. L. Higginson '55 who read a telegram from Senator H. C. Lodge '71, Dean L. B. R. Briggs '85, Professor I. N. Hollis, J. T. Wheelwright '76, D. C. Campbell '02, W. T. Reid '01, and W. H. Lewis '95L. F. J. Stimson '76 also read a poem. The cheering and singing was led by O. G. Frantz '02 and M. Donald 3L.