The Monthly.

"Scholarship in College," by J. B. Warner '69, is the most profitable article in the January Monthly. It treats of the old, yet never quite trite subject of an undergraduate's responsibility to himself and his own future, and the importance of definite scholastic purpose during the four college years. The final sentences are worth quoting: "Remember that a college course is not an education: it is the opportunity for one, and is what you make it. It can deliver a man at the end, blankly unaware of the high things among which he has been moving, a vacant idler, or a stupid book-man, a heavy-witted athlete, a timid nonentity, or a snob already stifled in the stale air of exclusiveness; or it can send him out free of the great brotherhood of educated men, stirred with the challenge of life, the life, of ideas and no less the life of men."

"The Defeat of Tammany," by William French Wilbour '96, is an interesting sketch of some features of political campaigning in New York during the past autumn. "'Soapy' Smith," by B. Wendell, Jr., and "The Hoboes' Congress," by L. M. Crosbie, are the two stories of the issue. Neither one has enough incident and movement to make it especially interesting. "A Plea for the Rush," by J. Willard Helburn, is, in effect, reply to Professor Shaler's article against the rush, which was printed by the Monthly in November.

The poetry of the number is good. "December," by Warren Seymour Archibald, is well-imagined and well-expressed. There is certainly real and deep poetic thought in "Corrupt," by Henry Wyman Holmes--thought that in this instance is yet, perhaps a little incoherent in its expression. In "A Sunset," by Henry James Forman, a simple and pleasant imagination is simply expressed. "Calypso," by Lauriston Ward, surpasses the three poems mentioned above in both the aptness and music of its wording.

Several editorials and six thoughtful and luminous book reviews conclude the issue.