Pennsylvania Athletics.

The call for candidates for the university and freshman crews has already been made, and the freshmen have begun preliminary work with the rowing machines. Five men of the 1900 university crew are in college, and they, with the other candidates, will begin practice after the midyear examinations. The average age of the candidates for the university crew is 21 years and 6 months, and the average weight 164 pounds; of the freshmen the average age is 19 years and the weight 151 pounds.

According to the decision of the Rowing Committee, the freshman class will be called upon this year, for the first time, to pay the expenses of their crew. It is estimated that the travelling and training expenses of the crew will be about $500, and this sum will be collected by subscription.

A large number of men have come out as candidates for the track team, and have begun active work. McCracken is coaching the men in the hammer throw and shot put, and Kraenzlein the hurdles. After the close of the mid-year examinations, weekly indoor track games will be held, and as soon as the weather moderates there will be handicap games on Franklin Field. In March or April a meet will be held to decide the championship in track athletics of the various classes and departments of the university.

The Athletic Committee has, by a recent decision, declared Tewksbury and Baxter eligible for places on Pennsylvania teams. The "Pennsylvanian," through its editorial column, questions the wisdom of this decision, although it states that the Athletic Committee has acted in accord with the present rules.

The baseball candidates have commenced preliminary work, and for an hour and a half daily have batting and throwing practice in the cage.

C. E. Wallace, captain of the Pennsylvania football eleven for 1901, called a meeting just before the examination period, of all men who intend to be candidates for the eleven next fall. Pennsylvania will lose this year by graduation an unusually large number of the best football players in college, and great efforts will be necessary to develop the new material. At the meeting Coach Woodruff and Captain Hare discussed with the candidates plans for preliminary football practice in the spring term.