THE TEACHERS' ASSOCIATION.

Tenth Meeting Saturday.--Relation of the People to the Schools Discussed.

The meeting of the Harvard Teachers' Association on Saturday was the most successful that has ever been held. The attendance at Sanders Theatre in the morning was over five hundred, and one hundred and twenty-five were present at the dinner afterwards.

The meeting, in discussing the topic "The People and the Schools," was intended to define the vague dissatisfaction of the people with the schools and the equally vague dissatisfaction on the part of the teachers, and a way to correct the shortcomings was sought. Teachers brought out their side of the case in the morning session, and the people's point of view was represented at the dinner.

All the speakers pointed out that details in the conduct of school affairs were criticised without a knowledge of the significance of these details. Some of the criticisms were recognized as just and some were considered not so, because the critics failed to take the right point of view. Teachers were urged to form a broad outlook, and to make their activity bear directly on social progress,--not limiting their work to the class room, but seeing it in its relation to other things, besides the individual scholar.

The after dinner speakers spoke from an independent standpoint, and no direct reference was made to the proceedings of the morning.