UNION COMMITTEE MEETS.

Twelve Names Chosen for Memorial Panels.--Question of Dues Deferred.

The Committee on the Union met last night. Consideration of the question of dues was postponed to the next meeting on Monday. March 18, when the sub-committee on dues will report.

Dean Briggs as chairman of the committee on memorials submitted two lists of names, the first being chosen from the first century of Harvard's existence, the second from the beginning up to the present time. The latter list was approved by the committee and will be sent immediately to the architects. The names are: John Adams 1755, James Russell Lowell 1838, Louis Agassiz, h. 1848, Ralph Waldo Emerson 1821, Joseph Warren 1759, Cotten Mather 1678, Joseph Story 1798, Benjamin Peirce 1829, Edward Everett 1811, Asa Gray h. 1844, Henry Dunster, first president of Harvard College; Charles Summer 1830. The committee was empowered to submit ten more names to be added to the above list. Professor Hollis stated that this manner of choosing names for the memorials is not a precedent but that in the future the names will be chosen by the members of the Union.

In Article V. Section 2 was amended by a clause providing that the Trustees have the power to make leases. Section 3 was amended as was Section 2 at the last meeting, in regard to the election of committee members from the departments of the University. In Article VI, the only amendments were in Section 1, the words "at 8 p. m.," and the last clause--"in which case, etc.," being stricken out. In Article VII, Section 3 was amended as follows: "All members or past members of Harvard University not resident in Cambridge are eligible to non-resident membership." Consideration of Section 5 about life membership was postponed. Section 7 was amended so that names of candidates shall be posted for two weeks instead of one. Consideration of Articles VIII and IX was postponed. Article XI was left unchanged except that in Section 1 the clause "except in cases above mentioned" was stricken out.

In the By-Laws there were no changes made except in Sections 8 and 16. The former section was stricken out altogether on the ground that the Cambridge no-license law makes it superfluous. Section 16 was amended so that the Union shall be open on week days till 12.30 a. m.