Book by Dr. Ford

Silver, Burdett and Company, of New York, have recently published a book by Dr. J. D. M. Ford, of the Department of Romance Languages, entitled "Anthologia Castellana." The book is a collection of Spanish lyrics from the thirteenth century to the present day. It differs from other collections mainly in that it goes back to an earlier period, including selections from such poets as Campoamor, Valere and Nunez de Arce. From each century typical authors have been chosen, and the various poems have been selected with a view to representing the movements in which the authors played a part. An attempt has also been made to selected poems which have been translated into English by Long-fellow, Bryant, Churton, Lockhart Gibson, and others. The poems of living Spanish authors have been selected by the authors themselves or with their permission.

The present edition of the book will be supplemented next fall by another edition, which will contain, in addition to the anthology, a treatise on Spanish prosody and a set of notes. The present edition is to be circulated in South America, and will be used in the University this spring. The annotated edition will be used by the Spanish department as a text-book, beginning with next year.