HARVARD, 4; DARTMOUTH, 2.

The Nine Wins the First Home Game of the Season.--Team Plays Again Today.

The University nine defeated Dartmouth, 4 to 2, in a slow game yesterday afternoon. The regular diamond was too wet for use, so the game was played on the practice diamond, thus bringing the sun in the batters' eyes and helping the pitchers considerably. Taking this into consideration, Clarkson's work in striking out sixteen men was not remarkable. Clarkson pitched a steady game, and Dartmouth's only two runs were the result of an error. Although Varney was hit oftener than Clarkson, he kept the hits well scattered. His support in the field was not good. Harvard did well in the field, except for Story's wild throw and Coolidge's failure to field a ground ball; but the showing at the bat was not satisfactory. Most of the men were unable to hit reliably with men on bases, and the base running was slow and stupid. Reid and Frantz, however, showed good judgment in this respect. Reid, Stillman and Frantz hit hard and well, and were responsible for three of the runs.

Harvard went out in order in the first inning. In the second, Reid was hit by a pitched ball; then Frantz drove a high fly over Ford's head for three bases, bringing Reid in, and scored on Uniac's error on the throw in. The next three men went out and Harvard did no more scoring until the seventh inning. Dartmouth did not get a man as far as second base until the fourth inning. Then after McCarten's strike-out French got to second on Story's wild throw after a good stop, and scored on Pingree's single to centre. Hancock then doubled to centre-field and tied the score with Pingree's run. The next two men struck out, and during the rest of the game Dartmouth got only one man as far as third base. Harvard broke the tie in the seventh inning. Coolidge got a base on balls and Clark sacrificed him to second. Wendell struck out. Coolidge went to third on Reid's hit and scored on Wainwright's bad throw. Reid went to third on the play and scored on Stillman's single. Story ended the inning by a slow hit to Varney. Dartmouth got men on second and third in the ninth inning with only one out, but a strike-out and a ground ball to Murphy ended the game without further scoring.

The game was played under last year's National League rules. The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Coolidge, s.s.  3  1  0  1  1  1 G. C. Clark, 1b.  4  0  1  8  0  0 Wendell, l.f.  5  0  1  0  0  0 Reid, c.  4  2  2  16  2  0 Frantz, r.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0 Stillman, c.f.  3  0  2  0  0  0 Murphy, 2b.  3  0  1  0  2  0 Story, 3b.  4  0  1  1  1  1 Clarkson, p.  4  0  0  0  3  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  34  4  9  27  9  2 DARTMOUTH.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  o. McCarten, fab.  4  0  0  1  0  1 French, s.s  3  1  1  1  1  0 Pingree, l.f.  4  1  2  0  0  0 Hancock, 1.b.  4  0  1  3  1  0

Uniac, 2b.  4  0  0  2  6  1Ford, c.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0Wainwright, r.f.  3  0  0  2  0  1Roe, c.  3  0  0  11  2  0Varney, P.  3  0  0  0  7  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  31  2  4  27  11