Baseball at Yale.

Last Saturday, at New Haven, Yale won the first baseball game of the season, defeating Manhattan College by 19 to 5. A cold raw wind prevented good fielding on either side. Captain Robertson pitched the first five innings in fairly good form, but Patton, who replaced him, was unsteady.

In spite of the weakness in the box shown on Saturday, it looks as if Yale would have a strong staff of pitchers. Besides Robertson and Garvan, who pitched last year, there are Cook and Sharpe. The latter has developed into a remarkable left-handed pitcher. At present the weakest places on the team are shortstop and second base, left vacant by Camp and Quinby. In J. T. Craffey '04, however, Yale has found a valuable man for the former position. His work last Saturday was fast and reliable, and before the season is far advanced, Yale will probably be as strong as ever at short. J. O. Tobin '02 has been playing second in promising form. In the outfield, the only vacancy is right field. A. Y. Wear '02 is the most likely candidate for this position.

On the whole, with but four of last year's team missing, and an abundance of good new material the prospect for a strong team at Yale this year is very promising.

The team will leave today for its southern trip, playing Georgetown tomorrow.