First Performance of D. U. Play.

This year's Delta Upsilon play, "The Elder Brother," was presented before the graduates of the society last night in Brattle Hall.

The play moves very slowly at first, but toward the end it becomes more interesting and several ingenious situations are rather abruptly developed. The dialogue, though a little stiff and formal, is clever and very entertaining, and the performance went off smoothly. J. H. Holmes '02, as Charles, the scholar, and elder brother to Eustace, takes the principal role, with great earnestness, but does not look his part at all; in fact, he does not look by any means as old as his younger brother; his delivery is also poor. The part of Andrew, his servant, is very well acted by J. G. Brackett '01, who gives an amusing portrayal of the awkward but well meaning servitor. The women in the play are not as good as the men; perhaps Sylvia, H. W. French '01, is a bit less unnatural than her mistress, Angelina, whose part is taken by H. R. Van Low '02.

The stage setting is entirely adequate, and the hall of Brisac, H. C. De Long '03, whose two sons, Charles and Eustace, C. F. C. Arensberg '01, are seeking Angelina's hand, is very well presented. The wedding dance, which is somewhat forcibly introduced into the second act, is pleasing in its general effect, but is crudely executed.