Library Acquisitions.

The Gore Hall Library has recently made a number of important acquisitions, some by purchase and some by gift.

A number of recent graduates have presented a valuable collection of "Engraved Contemporary Portraits of David Garrick," which contains over 200 separate plates, representing the actor in every day life and in many of his famous parts. This collection was given in memory of Mr. Justin Winsor, the late librarian, who was deeply interested in the English drama of Garrick's time, and wrote a history of his life, which, however, was never published.

The Library has purchased a collection of photographs of the sculptures on the Marcus Aurelius Antoninus column in Rome. The collection is called "Ble Marous-Saule auf Piazza Colonna in Rom." Another recent purchase is a miscellaneous collection of leaflets and pamphlets belonging to Sir Thomas Phillips, issued by the Middle Hill Press in England. The collection relates to matters of interest from a historical and antiquarian point of view. The correspondence of Sir Frederic Madden, relating to his edition of the old English poem, "Havelock, the Dane," has also been purchased.

Through Professor Charles Rockwell Lanman, of the Sanskrit Department, the Gore Hall and Sanskrit libraries have received a number of books from the private library of the late Henry C. Warren '79.

A facsimile, by Mr. B. F. Stevens, of a large map of New York City in 1782 has been received. The original, which was recently discovered in London, was made for the use of the British army.

In the recently acquired Riant collection, there is a large number of editions of Tasso, which are now being catalogued so that a separate list of them may be printed.

Mr. B. G. Goodhue, a Boston architect, has designed an appropriate bookplate for the books of the library of James Russell Lowell, recently presented to the Lowell Memorial Library by a number of friends of the Department of Romance Languages. The books will soon be catalogued and placed in Warren House.