The Advocate.

The spirit of summer vacations and of seashore reminiscences, sentimental and otherwise, seems to pervade the Advocate which appears today, although the stories are mostly of that type with which we are quite familiar.

"Faith, Hope and Charity," by G. C. St. John '02, has as its familiar theme the heroic college man who goes out in search of unusual experience and meets the traditional impressionable girl with whom he promptly falls in love. Still, the story gives us an interesting glimpse of a cattle ship and some little whiff of salt air.

A better sea-story, however, is "Captain Blood of the Jolly Roger," by R. W. Page '03, which recounts very amusingly the adventure of some pirate-hunting urchins in their "Frigate, Constitution."

"A Turn in the Way," by C. R. Saunders '01, is an interesting analysis of the train of thought of the college man who shrinks at the sudden realization that the world's work is before him. The sketch is artistically clothed with a whispering summer night but it is unsatisfying, because it is issueless.

The verse in this number is very good, especially that of A. D. Ficke '04, whose "Antinous" and "Vesuvius" are both of unusual merit.

The number also contains "A Summer's Day" by R. Pier '03, "The Sport" by R. A. Wood '03, and "Blue-Eyed Bass."