MEMORIAL DAY SERVICES.

New Plan Introduced by Memorial Society.--R. C. Bolling to be Speaker

When the Harvard Memorial Society was founded in 1895, its chosen object was "to perpetuate a knowledge of the history of our University, and to commemorate the great men who have been teachers and students here." One of the fittest ways to do this seemed to be by the annual services which had been held in Sanders Theatre on Memorial Day since 1892. Originally it had been intended that the exercises should be under the auspices of each graduating class; but the difficulty of establishing a tradition made it advisable to put them in the charge of a permanent organization. Thus they came to be a part of the Memorial Society's work. They have always consisted of singing, led by the Glee Club, and of an address by a graduate who had himself served in the Civil War. Major Higginson spoke the first year, and he has been followed by Dr. Edward Waldo Emerson, Judge Holmes, Colonel Hallowell, Professor Shaler, Professor Hollis, and the Honorable John Read.

As time passes, however, fewer and fewer of such men are left. Moreover, it is felt that the day ought to commemorate not only the Harvard soldiers of forty years ago, but also the virtues shown by Harvard men at all times of public stress since the college was established; and that this commemoration would come most appropriately from the present students. The Memorial Society believes that the nobility of these men has still its message to speak to us as it spoke to our older brothers in '98. and that we can hear it most clearly perhaps from the lips of one that is still young with us.

Accordingly the address this year will be given by Raynal Cawthorne Bolling, of the Law School. In order that it may be attended as largely as possibly by undergraduates, an assembly will be held by classes in front of University. Hall at 11.30 on Thursday morning, May 30, the Seniors in caps and gowns. Marshals will be appointed early next week. A band of music will lead the procession, escorting the Charles Beck Post of the Grand Army to Sanders Theatre, where the floor and first balcony will be reserved. By this means, it is hoped that there may be in the audience a large number of students, whose presence will be especially appropriate to the occasion and inspiring to the speaker.

In this departure from custom the Memorial Society relies upon the undergraduates to justify the action by making the new plan successful. It believes that if they come to the exercise in a fitting spirit, the day will take on a new significance as a special commemoration by Harvard men of the heroic manhood of their predecessors.