First Performance of the Greek Play.

The private performance of the last two scenes of Aristophanes's "Birds" was given by members of the Classical Club last night in the lecture room of the Fogg Art Museum. The scenes were remarkably well interpreted and proved exceedingly entertaining and humorous.

The music to the choruses, composed by Professor Paine, was very effective, and the wedding song and the solo by E. M. Waterhouse '97 at the end of the play was particularly spirited and had to be repeated.

Before the performance proper, Professor Goodwin said a few introductory words about the play, and gave a short account of the scenes preceding those that were acted. Professor Paine then played an overture of his own composition on the piano, which was well received.

The first scene between Peithetaerus and Prometheus was skilfully done; Prometheus has stolen down from the realm of Zeus, and his attempts to hide himself from the latter's sight under a huge umbrella called out much laughter. In the second scene the embassy from Zeus appears, and here the haughty Poseidon, the gluttonous Herakles and the barbarian Triballos were well portrayed by the respective actors.

The costumes were very elaborate and in perfect harmony with the play. The men wore white tunios, and were wrapped in togas of various colors in true Grecian style. The chorus was very well trained and deserves particular mention for the swing with which the closing song was given.

The complete cast is as follows: Leader of the chorus,  J. W. Hewitt 2G. Peithetaerus, an Athenian,  D. J. Clark 4G. and (in the chorus at the end), E. M. Waterhouse '97. Prometheus,  C. W. Harvey 2G. Poseidon,  D. Cameron 2G. Herakles,  F. W. Doherty 1G. Triballos, a Barbarian God,  P. Barry 1G. A Messenger,  O. S. Tonks 3G. Royalty, a hand-maiden of Zeus,  A. H. Rice '01.   A. E. Hoyle '02. Attendants,  I. J. Uhrich 1G.

Choruses, representing birds.

Tickets for Public Performances.

The two public performances of the play will be given on May 8 and 10. Tickets are not issued by invitation only, as seems to have been understood, but are on public sale at Sever's Bookstore in Cambridge, and at Herrick's, and Ditson's in Boston. The price is $1.00.

Choruses, representing birds.

Tickets for Public Performances.