Criticism of the Harvard Crew.

By E. C. Storrow.

The University crew has improved somewhat since coming to New London, but not so much as we had hoped or as seemed possible.

There are many individual faults apparent to anyone familiar with rowing, but it is now so late that these can hardly be corrected, and it does not seem worth while to mention them in detail.

From now on all efforts must be turned forwards improving the crew as a whole.

First. The crew is not a unit. The cars are not uniform, and the power does not go on exactly together and in the same manner. In other words the crew is not well together. This is the most serious fault any crew can have and most fatal to speed.

Second. Many of the men are very awkward and rough in handling themselves and their cars. This jars and tips the boat so that it has been very unsteady and does not run on even keel. This is a very serious fault, because it makes more work for the men all the time, and makes it hard for them to apply their full strength.

Third. The finish is not strong. There is not the send at the end of the stroke that there should be, and the men all settle on the boat, pushing it down in the water at the end of the stroke, just when it should be running its best.

Fourth. After going some distance and getting tired, the men rush the last part of the recover, do not get well on the stretchers, and are consequently not in a good strong position to begin the next stroke.

As a whole the men are strong, of good endurance and are now in good condition, but lack the smoothness and polish of last year's eight and are not, I think, at present so fast.

The 'Varsity Four is doing well for the short time they have been rowing together, and are faster than last four, but still have considerable improvement, especially in together. They will need this year is much faster than any they have sent to New London.