THE HARVARD UNION.

Will be Open for inspection Today. Description of the interior.

As the result of a general desire among the undergraduates to contribute in some way to the Union, a committee was recently formed by the class presidents to consider the matter. In response to a letter written to Professor Hollis by J. Lawrence, Jr., asking for suggestions, the following letter was received. CAMBRIDGE, DEC. 8, 1900.

My dear Mr Lawrence:

The architects of the Harvard Union now have under consideration the treatment of the large living room on the south side of the building. Its floor dimensions are 100 feet by 40 feet and its height is about 35 feet. It is to be lined with an oak wainscot on all sides extending twenty feet up from the floor, something after the style of the Oxford college halls. The ends are to have an oak lining above the wainscot. There will be ample opportunity in the oak panels for memorials to graduates who have served the nation, or the University, also spaces for portraits above the wainscotting.

It is proposed to place the national coat of arms at one end of the room and to have a bust of Washington over the mantelpiece at the same end, the stone work to be appropriately finished. The other end of the room will be designed to correspond with the national end, excepting that the Harvard seal will take the place of the national coat of arms and a small statue of John Harvard will be on the mantelpiece.

It seems to me in consideration of the interest which the students have taken in this building, that they ought to have the opportunity of contributing towards its ornamentation. It will be a home for many of them and they would naturally like to feel that they had given some thing towards its completion. They could appropriately provide by subscription for the extra cost of the carving in wood and stone at the Harvard end of the living room, or for any other form of ornament considered necessary by the architect. The plain wainscoting has already been generously provided for. I think you would do well to call the attention of the class presidents, and through them of the students to this subject. If a committee appointed to consider the matter wish to make an appeal to the students I shall be glad to supply an estimate of the probable extra cost.   Yours very truly,   IRA N. HOLLIS.

At a meeting of the committee, it was decided that the above suggestion is most appropriate; and that the undergraduate sentiment justifies the committee in undertaking to raise the required amount. It has been estimated that $6000 will be needed to carry out summation, every member of the University should contribute his share.   C. H. SCHWEPPE.   J. LAWRENCE, JR.   E. LEWIS.   R. DERBY.   For the committee.