FOOTBALL PROSPECTS.

Harvard Has Good Line Material But Not Many Backs.

The University football eleven that will compete against Yale next fall will in all probability be chosen form the same general material as that of last season. Although this might seem to presuppose the same unfavorable comparison with Yale material as existed last year, yet such is not the case. Yale loses many of her most valuable men, including Hale, Olcott, Stillman, Fincke, Brown, Coy, and possibly Bloomer. It was these men that gave the Yale team its great power. Harvard on the other hand loses but one regular line man, Lawrence, and has the advantage of beginning the season with heavy, experienced, seasoned material, in general effectiveness much more valuable than last year.

This is more true of heavy line men than of backs and ends. Whereas in former years the latter have abounded, it is very probable that toward the middle of next season, when injuries begin to tell, the backs will run short. Should such a scarcity exist, it might produce a very serious situation, as the ends and backs material depends upon a very few men, with little or no reserve to draw on. Campbell, Bowditch, Ristine, J. L. Motley, Morse, Clark and MacDonald constitute the end material, but only the first two are of first rate ability. If they are carefully handled and kept free from injuries, the ends will be as strong as usual. This will be especially true of Bowditch, for he is a most exceptional player.

For the tackle positions there are Eaton, Graydon, Wright, Lewis, Whitwell, Robinson and Cutts. None of these men are of a high standard. Eaton and Graydon have both had experience, but Eaton is too heavy to be effective. The rest are all inexperienced. Robinson and Wright present the greatest chances of development. If the former develops consistency, endurance and fight he will probably make the team. If the latter proves to have the speed and knowledge of the game which he lacked last year he also will be very valuable.

Lee, Barnard, Rainsford, Shea, Roberts and Hollingsworth make up the guard material. Lee, Rainsford and Hollingsworth have neither the knack nor the power to play the most effective football. Roberts will probably be so unwieldy that it will be impossible to get him into condition. He is also lazy and lacks fight. Shea and Barnard are the most likely men. The latter will be a good consistent player and if the former can keep from being hurt he also will make a strong guard.

For centre there are Sargent, Sugden and Greene. Sargen is the only one of these who is really good material. He has the possibilities of a fast effective player, and if he tries hard, he can make himself even better than last year, when his playing was by no means bad.

For quarterback are L. Daly, E. Motley and Baldwin. Baldwin is the most experienced, and Daly the best physically.

Stillman, Kernan, Devens, Derby and Swann are the nucleus for the backs. Gierasch will probably not return to college and the other backs of last fall graduate. These men do not offer a very great field for choice. Stillman is probably the best.

Everything considered, the material for next year's team is about average, with a probability of a good strong line. Light, quick men is the greatest need, as without them the positions of ends and backs will certainly be weak. Stillman should, with exceedingly fast ends, bring the kicking department to a state of great effectiveness. Thus next year's team should be better than that of last year, with a strong line and good material for a bucking game. As compared with the Yale material its chances are not at all bad.