FOOTBALL YESTERDAY

First Actual Play of the Season.--Fourteen Men Go to the Training Table.

The general football squad numbering about one hundred candidates turned out yesterday afternoon for the usual hour and a half of practice on Soldiers Field. No morning work was taken. The routine was similar to that of the past few days but in view of the fact of the Wesleyan game on Saturday an estimate of the men was taken for the first cut in the squad. About 20 men have been dropped. Brayton, fullback on the second eleven for the past two years, Pruyn '02, end on his freshman team; and Alexander 1L a new fullback came out for the first time.

The practice began with short sprints for the entire number of candidates followed by practice in dropping on the ball, kicking and tackling the dummy with special practice for the line men.

Work concluded with the lining up of four elevens composed of the most promising men for fifteen minute halves. In the scrimmages of the first eleven against the third Gierasch scored for the first eleven on the third play after the kick-off by running half the length of the field for a touchdown. First Eleven.  Third Eleven. Pruyn, r.e.  l.e., B. Taylor J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., R. Lawrence Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Jackson Sargent, c.  c., Greene Lee, l.g.  r.g., Rainsford Knowlton, l.t.  r.t., Lewis Hawkins, l.e.  r.e. Hutchinson Daly, Sherlock, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly Kendall, Derby, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Boyd Gierasch, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Brockway Stillman, f.b.  f.b., W. R. Lawrence